Monday, October 31, 2011

New Boyfriend

So I have a new boyfriend, it has been a month or so, so I think that still means new. I figured a new boyfriend is the perfect time to make a playlist so I did, and it has been 90% done for a couple weeks now. I want to blame the fact that I am a busy graduate student as to why I haven't been posting, but I goof off a lot. For example one night I watched the whole third season of Arrested Development.
Anyway, I already posted a picture of Steve on my blog so I can skip that, and we don't have any cute couple pictures so I will be skipping that as well. So I guess I will go right to the playlist


Keep Yourself Warm-Frightened Rabbit
So I have been avoiding the whole boyfriend thing, I have been in favor of the causal relationship. I really think this song represents what I was doing. I slept around a lot, but even the semi-serious relationships I got into did not give me the emotional support and love I was looking for.
You won't find love in a, won't find love in a hold.
It takes more than fucking someone to keep yourself warm.
Spanish For Monsters-Andrew Bird
This is still part of the pre-Steve section of the playlist and I picked this song for two reasons. For one I really like the feeling of the song and the lyrics. Also, Steve had an Etch-a-Sketch taken away from him as a child.
All alone now, guess I'm satisfied
The Tension and the Terror-Straylight Run
I really like the sexual tension in this song, I can literally feel it. This is the section of the playlist that moves into meeting Steve so this is the kind of first few dates kind of song, wanting to jump him.
Words just aren't right
sometimes I just can't explain
all the ways you devastate me
always on my mind
I Don't Have Time to Be in Love-Priscilla Ahn
I did not want a boyfriend, in fact, I still kind of don't want one. I went through a whole mental conflict over what I wanted with Steve. I wanted it all. The freedom of being single with the support of a boyfriend. As much as I tried to resist it, I really couldn't. 
I don't have time to be in love
laughing so hard we cry, sometimes I don't know why.
I don't have time to be in love
maybe this revelry just wasn't meant for me.
But that's not true, when I'm with you
Reasons to Love You-Meiko
This song is a kind of continuation of above. I already knew I wanted to be with Steve, but I needed convincing. My heart was all yes, but my head was kind of scared. 
I wanna fall asleep with you tonight
I wanna know that I am safe when you hold me tight
I wanna feel like I wanna feel forever
What I Wouldn't Do-A Fine Frenzy
This is one of my favorite songs, so I HAD to include it on a playlist of this type. I feel like this songs childlike fairytale feeling reminds me of myself. Lucky for me the whole song doesn't apply to me. I did not leave yet, and I don't plan on it any time soon.
If I were old, my dearest, you would be older
but I would crawl upon your lap
wrap a blanket 'round our frail little shoulders
and I'd die happily like that
We're Just Like String-Benjamin Jameson Morey
Mr. Morey is a magnificent musician. I had to include him in this playlist. Especially since it fit in with all the other adorable songs. Like many songs for me, I had trouble picking just one section of the lyrics and not posting them all, mostly because I really love the tree at the end.
When I sing sadly 
I want so badly 
for you to come
Damnit Janet-The Rocky Horror Picture Show
How could I not include the greatest love song ever sung. Steve does not love The Rocky Horror Picture Show as much as he should, but I will be changing that... 
There's three ways that love can grow
That's good, bad
or mediocre 
The Ghost Inside Our House-Cloud Cult
I got Steve to fall in love with Cloud Cult. It was really hard to pick only one Cloud Cult song, but I think this song is perfect. For both the playlist and in general. This is one of those songs where I wanted to put thrall the lyrics up but cut back...
I watched you sleep until 5 am
cause I want to be part of your dreaming.
Oh Love, don't leave me by myself
or I'm bound to lose my meaning

Everybody-Ingrid Michaelson
My last two songs are more about loving in general, not just a significant other, but sharing your love with the world.
Happy is the heart that still feels pain
darkness drains and light will come again
swing open your chest and let it in
just let the love, love, love begin

Give a Little Love-Noah and the Whale
I love Noah and the Whale and I think this song is really powerful and ties in well with The Ghost Inside Our House I had trouble deciding the order with this one and Everybody because of that, but I think this one is a good ending. Even if it is sad. 
Well my heart is bigger than the earth
and though life is what gave it love first
life is not all that it's worth
'cause life is fleeting
and my love surrounds you like an ether
in everything that you do
but if you give a little love, you can get a little love of your own


No comments:

Post a Comment