Thursday, November 3, 2011

So Much Proctoring

I had to proctor TWO exams today...which was horrible. Proctoring is this horrible thing they make 1-3 year sociology graduate students do for large lecture classes. Our job is to watch for cheaters during tests, and it sucks. The reason it was so bad today was because the first exam I had to proctor for was at 10am, which is three hours earlier than I normally have to be on campus. I am not a morning person and having to get up early to watch people fill out a bubble sheet is not a good time. Oddly, proctoring is one of the times I feel like an actual graduate student, that and when I have to grade hideous papers. So far most of my graduate school experience has felt a lot like undergrad. Sit in classes, write papers, spend hours playing flash games while trying to motivate myself to get my work done. I don't know why I expected graduate school to feel so different, but I did. Maybe it will come when if my TA duties pick up and I become more involved in the department, or maybe once I am working on my dissertation and teaching intro sociology classes? Maybe I am just in denial, just like how I deny that I am an adult, despite the fact that I am living on my own, supporting myself. Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment